[fpc-pascal] howto find alternatives for deprecated fucntions?

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-pascal at telemetry.co.uk
Thu Sep 17 12:21:38 CEST 2015

Marco van de Voort wrote:

>> In an ideal world every occurance of the word deprecated in the docs
>> would be accompanied by the info which is the alternative.
>
> In an ideal world people would have updated code that used these functions
> in 2005 when 2.0 came out :-)
>
> Documentation is not meant to preserve a history of every change every made,
> specially when the flaws are older than the docs (and compiler) tooling.

I've got various old stuff that I try to keep running, but in practical
terms there are very good reasons for not trying to support compiler
versions older than 2.2.4. So anybody who insists on using functions
which were already deprecated by that point had better have a compelling
reason, and should have made that reason clear to the core developers in
case they were missing some detail.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk