[fpc-pascal] FPC's generics implementation

Jani Mátyás jzombi at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 11:05:56 CEST 2015

Hi All,

I have some questions regarding FPC's generics implementation, just out of
curiosity.

The FPC wiki states that the ppu file stores all the tokens for the generic
classes. Browsing the source of compiler/symdef.pas (r31298) also gave me
this impression. Does it mean that a recompilation occurs for every
specialization?

There have been some ideas (again, regarding the wiki) to store the parse
tree instead of the source code (or tokens) in the ppu. I guess that would
made the specializations quicker. What were the reasons against it?

Disabling assignment compatibility of the separate specializations (with
same parameter type) might reduce the number of specializations. Were there
any specific reasons for enabling it in objpas mode?

Please CC me the answers, I'm not a list member!

Best,
Mátyás Jani