[fpc-pascal] quality of FPC random

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Mon Aug 17 11:30:01 CEST 2015

On 08/17/2015 11:15 AM, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

> In short: People interested in crypto grade randomness should use
> specialized routines, not the built-ins provided by FPC.
+1

As said: random numbers are a matter if taste (or of the application)

e.g. :

I once did a project where we such a wide range of integer random
numbers that doing them as int64 was not enough

With "Monecarlo" method to estimate  statistical profitability you
usually need random numbers as real-values to enter them in a simulated
process. here predictability is not a great issue.

Cryptography is a completely different issue. here a decent device uses
hardware to create the random seed.

-Michael