[fpc-pascal] quality of FPC random

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Fri Aug 14 15:47:16 CEST 2015

Xiangrong Fang wrote on Fri, 14 Aug 2015:

> I need to generate random numbers to be used as IV of block ciphers.  My
> question is: is FPC built-in PRNG good enough as comparing to /dev/urandom?

No PRNG is suited for that purpose, because every PRNG is by
definition predictable and you need unpredictable numbers for IVs.

> On the other hand, /dev/urandom in my impression is fairly slow, how is the
> speed of Random() comparing to that?

They are not comparable, they serve completely different purposes.
Additionally, the speed of /dev/urandom depends on a lot of factors
(it gets its input from various kinds of activity on the system, so
the more activity there is, the faster it becomes).

Jonas