[fpc-pascal] which GUI (noob)

Wed Aug 5 00:21:08 CEST 2015

On 2015-08-04 21:57, Schindler Karl-Michael wrote:
> This is quite a twisted view, which cries for correction. Apple has
> put up guide lines for developers, for example the Human Interface
> Guidelines

And even Apple can't adhere to their own HIG details. Such arguments
about Mac users praising the consistency of OSX and its applications is
a joke. If you want examples, use Google - it will list plenty of
inconsistencies for iOS and OSX.

As for Mac users not wanting to use applications that don't blend in
perfectly.... well then I guess those same users never use the Internet
or any web apps either? After all, websites look "alien" on every
platform and has no HIG to speak off (weird looking buttons, menus all
over the place, odd animations and hover effects, modal forms etc etc).
Yet everybody on any platform seems to navigate websites and web apps
just fine.  Personally I don't think the majority of end-users are that
stupid as some people make them out to be. If they see a button (on a
web page or "alien" application) they know how to use it. The same goes
for all other UI widgets too. The important things is, is the
application stable, and does it provide a useful function that the
end-user needs.

Case in point, I wrote a commercial application for a client using fpGUI
- a 100% custom drawn toolkit. fpGUI using OSX's X11 support to run. The
client didn't give a damn if the application didn't look 100% native.
They only cared that the application was stable and did what they
needed. In fact, they were quite happy that it looked and behaved
exactly like the Linux and Windows versions because it saved them extra
effort and money when training the staff using the software.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/