[fpc-pascal] which GUI (noob)

Martin Schreiber mse00000 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 17:47:14 CEST 2015

Hi, I am the author of MSEide+MSEgui.

On Monday 03 August 2015 16:41:44 Gour wrote:

> MSEgui works on Linux and Windows, while fpGUI works on all three OS-es
> but on Mac support is done via X11 libs.
>
> Now, let me say that Linux (Debian) is my native platform which I use
> and will develop on it, but would like to provide versions for Mac &
> Windows.
>
> Does it automatically eliminates c) or there is plan to add support for
> Mac?

MSEgui works on Linux, FreeBSD and Windows. A port for OSX with X11 backend is
probably doable with not much effort. I would prefer to interface to Quartz
directly, such a solution needs a sponsor because of the rather big
expenditure and I don't need OSX myself.
Though I often read that Mac people never will accept something which is not
made and sold by Apple so a toolkit like MSEgui on Mac is useless and Apple
tries to lock out "alien" solutions.

> Is b)’s support for Mac via X11 good-enough or is b) more suitable, as I
> read somewhere, for embedded platforms?
>
> What about learning curve of each one?

MSEide+MSEgui is no Delphi clone, so if you are experienced to work with
Delphi and don't like to learn something new you probably would have a hard
time with MSEide+MSEgui at the beginning.
If you don't know Delphi or you think that Delphi not necessarily is the only
possible way to make a GUI toolkit and IDE, MSEide+MSEgui can be easily
learned because of its orthogonal architecture and most things "simply work",
also difficult things like visual form inheritance, frames and docking - BTW
since many years already.
I started development of MSEide+MSEgui in 1999 and invested about 20'000 hours
up to now. Because of the small team the software architecture, quality and
strictness is very good. MSEgui probably is the most versatile GUI toolkit
you will find on the market.
License of MSEide is GPL, license of MSEgui is LGPL with static linking
exception, so you are free to fork the projects if you don't like my
development direction .

> I probably do not need full power of GTK2(3) or Qt toolkit, but need
> some database support - app would use sqlite3 as storage backend.

MSEide+MSEgui has excellent database support, please take a look in the MSEide
component palette tabs 'DB', 'DBe', 'DBl', 'DBf', 'Rep' and 'ifi' .
Please take the recommendation of tiOPF design patterns by Graeme with a grain
of salt, it is not the only possibility to build high quality database
applications and he is a little bit biased. ;-)

Please ask questions about MSEide+MSEgui on the mailing list: