[fpc-pascal] which GUI (noob)

Gour gour at atmarama.net
Mon Aug 3 16:41:44 CEST 2015

Hello,

I’m new to FPC and researching about different GUI options available to
write open-source multi-platform desktop app using FPC…

Based on what I’ve found there are mainly three options:

a) Lazarus and LCL

b) fpGUI

c) MSEgui

Afaict, a) support all three main OS-es - Linux, Mac & Windows by
providing native look’n’feel although, iirc, Cocoa supprt for Mac is not
finished yet.

MSEgui works on Linux and Windows, while fpGUI works on all three OS-es
but on Mac support is done via X11 libs.

Now, let me say that Linux (Debian) is my native platform which I use
and will develop on it, but would like to provide versions for Mac &
Windows.

Does it automatically eliminates c) or there is plan to add support for
Mac?

Is b)’s support for Mac via X11 good-enough or is b) more suitable, as I
read somewhere, for embedded platforms?

What about learning curve of each one?

I probably do not need full power of GTK2(3) or Qt toolkit, but need
some database support - app would use sqlite3 as storage backend.

Another concern is that, afaics, both b) and c) are mostly one-man
project, while a) has much larger community behind.

Any advice is helpful?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
Perform your prescribed duty, for doing so is better than not
working. One cannot even maintain one's physical body without work.