[fpc-pascal] Placing binary data (resources) in object files?

Anthony Walter sysrpl at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 17:47:46 CEST 2013

I am trying to come up with an embedded binary resource system and was
considering placing data in object files when I found this question on
stack overflow:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4158900/embedding-resources-in-exe-using-gcc

I see that it's possible to directly turn any file into an object file and
reference the memory of that as a resource in a C program using:

extern char binary_foo_bar_start[];
extern char binary_foo_bar_end[];

My question, is it possible to link extern char in free pascal in a way
similar to above? Perhaps something similar to:

var binary_foo_bar_start: pointer; external;

{$L foo.bar.o}

Or some permutation of the above?