[fpc-pascal] Empty record inside another record ?

Skybuck Flying skybuck2000 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 15 23:26:54 CET 2008

To me it seems like some kind of trick, to extend a record at runtime.

The empty record field, functions as a sort of offset/label/pointer if you
will to the new fields that will will be extended to the record by simply
allocating more memory then the size of the record.

Then this "label"/"field" can be used as a sort of offset, by typecasting it
to some extension record type.

Could be pretty handy, quite impressive trick.

However, is it safe to use ?

I cannot find anything in the documentation about this ?

Seems to be an old trick as well.

Gonna copy this stuff and ask on free pascal compiler list, maybe they know
something about this ;) I wonder if free pascal supports this trick as well
;)

Bye,
  Skybuck.

news:83db1$47b60dc9$541983fa$8366 at cache6.tilbu1.nb.home.nl...