[fpc-pascal] syscalls and fpc

Peter Vreman peter at freepascal.org
Fri Feb 15 10:15:16 CET 2008

>>  > I found that the Do_Syscalls are written in assembly and have only
>>  > limited number of parameters (up to 6). Is there a way to write it
>>  > using array of TSysParam instead of having 7 different functions ?
>>
>>  Maybe but it wouldn't make the assembler easier to read :-).
>
> Actually the assembler is not that hard to understand :)
> My point is, that I don't like the idea of 7 or 20 or 100 amount of
> parameters to give answer to every need. I think we should find a
> better way to implement it, like var args in C or open array in
> pascal...

I don't see any reason why it needs to be changed.
- It already works like var args in C from a program point of view.
- Syscalls have a known limited number of parameters.
- The way it now is programmed allows better code generation for the syscalls with
limited parameters.
- It is a syntax issue and there is a FAQ about syntax changes.

Peter