[fpc-pascal] FPC for virtual machines?

Matt Emson memsom at interalpha.co.uk
Thu Feb 7 13:16:12 CET 2008

Jonas Maebe wrote:

> On 07 Feb 2008, at 12:46, Matt Emson wrote:
>
>> I have always followed the belief that, whilst FPC does what it does
>> very well, sometimes simplification isn't a bad thing. Portability
>> across platforms - with caveats, obviously, would be a nice addition.
>
> At this time, the compiler cannot supporting systems which lack
> certain architectural features (e.g., several internal transformations
> introduce address/pointer expressions in code which does not contain
> any pointers whatsoever at the Pascal level). While it is possible to
> override these, it would be much more difficult then just disabling a
> couple of things in the parser for certain targets.
Okay, this is becoming off topic - sorry. To support Flash, I would
assume a cross compiler would be used. Does that still have the same
issues? I don't think a natively (as in Flash VM)  compiled compiler
would really do anything useful. All the Flash/Flex stuff
Adobe/Macromedia produced is in Java pretty much. Others have used C or
Java too. All tools target, but don't run on, the VM.