[fpc-pascal] Lazarus with FPC 2.3.1 i386 Mac OSX

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Tue Feb 5 13:36:29 CET 2008

On 05 Feb 2008, at 13:24, Bent Normann Olsen wrote:

> Thanks for the reply,
>
> I was especially interested in the 2.3.1 fix in the sizes for
> enumerated
> types. Small enumerated types in FPC 2.2.0 has the size of 4 bytes,
> and 1
> byte in Delphi. Sizes of small enumerated types in FPC 2.3.1 is 1
> byte after
> the fix.

You can make them 1 byte in FPC 2.2.0 by using {$packenum 1}. It's
possible that {$packenum 1} has become the default in Delphi mode in
2.3.1, I don't know.

> I understand, that "set of" types has the size of 4 bytes or 32
> bytes, and probably will be this way for the future releases of FPC.

Delphi-compatible set packing is already available FPC 2.2.1. Storing
sets in a binary file is a very bad idea though, because they are
opaque types and you cannot rely in any way on their internal format.
They're also incompatible between little and big endian systems.

Jonas