[fpc-pascal] development with mac os / cross platform

olle.r at automagika.se olle.r at automagika.se
Thu Jan 27 13:01:10 CET 2005

> Jonas Maebe wrote:
>
>>> i would also like to know if anybody succesful develops cross
>>> platform gui applications for windows and linux (and maybe osx).
>>> are there any interesting articles/hints i can find somewhere in
>>> the web?
>>
>> That is harder. Two possibilities are WxWindows (also works under Mac
>> OS X, but I don't know about Pascal bindings) and gtk (only works
>> under X11 under Mac OS X), but I doubt you will be able to write one
>> interface which looks native for all platforms, regardless of which
>> toolkit you use.
>
> Gtk also runs natively on Mac OS X, see
> <http://gtk-osx.sourceforge.net/> in beta stage
> <http://gtk-quartz.sourceforge.net/> under development
> <http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Porting/Conceptual/
> PortingUnix/unix_environments/chapter_7_section_6.html> overview
>
> And what about Lazarus ?

Yes, it should work for Linux, Windows and Mac OS X (under X11).

The latter should be considered beta
, and might not compile at the moment, but I have tried it previously and
at least it is possible to make hello world style GUI programs.

See www.lazarus.freepascal.org.

A carbon version is planned but not much work has been done on that atm.

Olle