[fpc-devel] Apple M1 processor

C Western l at c-m-w.me.uk
Tue Feb 2 16:48:52 CET 2021

I have been trying out compiling my main application for the new Apple
M1 machines, and have two queries:

The traceback on crashes does not include line numbers, when the same
flags on other architectures does. Is this something that is easy to
fix? Any pointers as to how?

Related to this I am trying to compile the rtl with debug information on
by passing DEBUG=1 to the make install when compiling from the current
SVN version, but it fails with:

/bin/mv -f aarch64/bin/aarch64-darwin/pp ppca64
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/make echotime
Start now 21:01:40
/usr/bin/diff ppc3 ppca64
Binary files ppc3 and ppca64 differ

I think a similar issue happens with other architectures on macs, and
there I think it was possible to fix by adjusting the starting compiler,
but I haven't been able to find a combination that works - any ideas?

My application works fine single threaded, but crashes occasionally when
multi threaded, with what I think is some sort of memory corruption, but
I haven't been able to pin this down yet, and fixing the above two
points would help.

Colin