[fpc-devel] Another thread about the fact that official FPC releases are *unnecessarily* non-representative of the platforms it actually runs on

denisgolovan denisgolovan at yandex.ru
Sun Sep 27 20:57:12 CEST 2020

> Am 27.09.20 um 18:21 schrieb Florian Klämpfl via fpc-devel:
> So we would need softfloat extended support. This is doable with one
> major obstacle: the "irrational" functions like ld, sin etc.: they need
> precise enough implementations for 80 bit (actually, just adding and
> using in the compiler 128 bit softfloat support would be even better).
> And this is probably something which is really hard. While I believe ;)
> I can solve most coding challenges, this is something I fear to touch :)

Well. Intel arch supports FMA instruction sets since 2013 (Intel) and since 2012 (AMD).
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FMA_instruction_set

Based on FMA support it's quite easy to create 128 bits (almost) semi-soft floats.
Julia guys have a nice library called DoubleFloats (https://github.com/JuliaMath/DoubleFloats.jl, MIT licensed)
They have a lot of trigonometric and other "complex" stuff already implemented.

So, maybe it's not that frightening after all :)
See my own small port attached. Russian comments ahead so beware :)

-- Regards,
Denis Golovan