[fpc-devel] Another thread about the fact that official FPC releases are *unnecessarily* non-representative of the platforms it actually runs on

Nikolay Nikolov nickysn at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 17:55:48 CEST 2020

On 9/27/20 10:48 AM, Florian Klämpfl via fpc-devel wrote:
> As long as there is no generic 80 bit float support in the compiler, there is no need to discuss anything else.

Yes. And unlike some other compilers, we don't exhaust our 32-bit
address space during compilation or linking of very large programs, so
the fact that it is a cross-compiler should be irrelevant to the user.

Regarding ease of installation, we're planning to release the Windows
version of FPC 3.2.2 as a single install package, that supports both
32-bit and 64-bit Windows - it will include the 32-bit native and 32-bit
to 64-bit crosscompiler, so it will be a single download for both Win32
and Win64.

The necessary changes for the that are already committed to trunk, but
it will need testing during the beta and release candidate phases.

Nikolay