[fpc-devel] Feature request/discussion - SetLengthNoInit

J. Gareth Moreton gareth at moreton-family.com
Tue Sep 15 06:22:21 CEST 2020

On 14/09/2020 19:41, Michael Van Canneyt via fpc-devel wrote:
>> Better add an additional (optional) parameter SkipInit : Boolean =
>> False;
>>
>> Michael.

I was probably a bit too critical in my last e-mail.  I'm sure it's
possible given SetLength is an intrinsic rather than a real subroutine.
Is it possible to add an extra parameter and have the compiler detect
whether it is for setting a length or specifying "no initialisation"?
I'm just a tad concerned about avoiding additional overhead should the
parameter be omitted and the effect of explicitly specifying False
(since the actual parameter could be a Boolean variable and the internal
"set_length_no_init" routine will then require an extra check to see if
this parameter actually is set to True in order to ensure correct
behaviour).

Gareth aka. Kit