[fpc-devel] Pure function development

J. Gareth Moreton gareth at moreton-family.com
Wed Apr 29 13:41:27 CEST 2020

Hi Sven,

Thanks for the response.  Yes, this is all inside the compiler.
Basically I need a means to keep track of the internal state of a
function as I step through the nodes (a process I call 'node
emulation'), namely local variables, parameters (if they're not const,
they're basically just like local variables), and the function Result
and out parameters.  Since these may be all sorts of things like
integers, floating-point values, strings or record types, I need a
system that can handle all of these value types. I figure the compiler
has an existing structure somewhere, but I'm not sure what it is.

The other use of such a structure for handling these values is to store
the results of the emulation, so as to save time.  If you had the
following pure function (I'm aware it's not the most efficient
implementation of the factorial operation):

function Factorial(n: Cardinal): Cardinal; pure;
begin
   if (n <= 1) then
     Exit(1)
   else
     Result := n * Factorial(n - 1);
end;

(I'm using "Exit(1)" so I have a different set of nodes to test)

Say you calculate Factorial(4) - you get a result of 24.  Later on, you
may want to calculate Factorial(5), but when it reaches the recursive
call, it can look up Factorial(4) to see it has already calculated that
to be 24, and so simply recall that value instead of going through the
whole process again and hence obtain the answer of 120 far faster.  It's
the main argument I have against making all functions pure until proven
otherwise... it would take the compiler a long time to determine if the
function actually is pure etc (especially if you do something malicious
like program an infinite loop).

The above function is quite simple, since I only need to track "n" and
"Result", both Cardinals, but there may be cases where I need to track
strings (e.g. "IntToStr" / "tostr" could be pure functions, which would
allow for further optimisations as it means other pure functions are
permitted to call them).

Gareth aka. Kit