[fpc-devel] 0036144: Wrong Dwarf2/3/4 info for array (all array, but affects bitpacked) / incorrect use of DW_AT_bit_stride

Martin Frb lazarus at mfriebe.de
Fri Oct 25 14:39:51 CEST 2019

On 23/10/2019 12:41, Martin Frb wrote:
> On 23/10/19 11:34, Joost van der Sluis wrote:
>> About the patch: I made the original change within the period that I
>> tried to get multiple-dimensional arrays to be displayed correctly in
>> gdb. Especially arrays of ansistrings. In the end this worked, does
>> this still work?
>>
>> We need some kind of debug-tests. I know you have some, and that
>> there are huge differences between gdb versions, but still...
>
> I am away this week, I check next week.

There is a project for manual testing:
components\lazdebuggergdbmi\test\RunGDBMI.lpi

It reads a list of fpc compilers from fpclist.txt (there is a sample
file).  And gdb versions from gdblist.txt.
It then takes an exe, that it will compile and run to a breakpoint.
There it will send a series of gdb commands, and record the results.
It can record them in csv format (copy and paste to libre office calc)

File: full filename with path - to be compiled
break: file without path, in which to set the breakpoint (can be used unit)
checkbox "csf": comma separated
upper memo: commands for gdb, one per line
lower memo: output

I tested the following
   a1: array of ansistring;
   a2: array of array of ansistring;
   s1: array [3..5] of ansistring;
   s2: array [3..5, 7..8] of ansistring;

with 3.0.0 (32bit only),  3.0.4, trunk 43310, and 3.2.0 43184  / dwarf
(with sets) and dwarf3
sending to gdb (32bit 7.2,  7.7.1,  7.8.2,  8.2.0   and 64bit 7.3-5,
7.7.0,  7.8.2,  8.2.0):
p a1
p a2
p s1
p s2

results attached (as libre office calc)

static array with dwarf-2 work.
In any case I see no change in the results depending on fpc version (so
the recent fixes made no diff for gdb)

If you remember what you tested, then I can run that against newer versions.