[fpc-devel] inline... and philosophy

J. Gareth Moreton gareth at moreton-family.com
Fri Nov 8 14:28:04 CET 2019

On 08/11/2019 13:14, Sven Barth via fpc-devel wrote:
> What's stopping that? Simple: no driving need. It's just work for
> something that has essentially no gain.

No gain? Wow, is whole-program optimisation that underperforming? Given
the bloated size of FPC's binaries compared to, say, what a mainstream
C++ compiler than do, I would have thought that there could be a lot
that could be stripped out in regards to unused functions and the like.
Or am I missing something?  The large binary sizes feel like an elephant
in the room that no-one talks about.  What causes them?

Gareth aka. Kit