[fpc-devel] Minor debate with ISO standard on case blocks

Paul Breneman Paul2006 at BrenemanLabs.com
Tue Jul 30 12:26:32 CEST 2019

This message thread has been interesting to read.

I just realized today that I dealt with similar issues in Delphi 19
years ago.  This is discussed in the good Microsoft Press book *Code
Complete* by Steve McConnell.  Using the default else block of a case
statement to show a program error message is exactly what is recommended
on pages 319-320 (and the same thing for repeated if statements on page
316).  I don't know if this directly applies, but it was fun to renew a
few brain cells by looking at old emails.

If I add an enumerated type and forget to update some of my code, I'd
like to get an error message when the unchanged code is run.

Regards,
Paul
www.ControlPascal.com