[fpc-devel] Bug fixes awaiting verification/approval

J. Gareth Moreton gareth at moreton-family.com
Fri Jul 12 19:48:46 CEST 2019

As requested by Sven on issue #32913
<https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=32913>, a new issue, #35841
<https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=35841>, has been split off.
They are technically two distinct bugs, although one (an error raised by
the assembler) was hidden by the other (an internal error).

The patch has been split, which was easy to do because the fixes were
located in different files.

Note that the fix for 32913 is a little ham-fisted but was the only way
I could make it work without causing failures elsewhere (not parsing the
except block at all if the try part was empty caused tbf/tb0089.pp and
tbf/tb0090.pp to erroneously compile without fault), and writing ANY
code to the finally block would trigger the internal error.  However, I
believe this fix could also open up future optimisation potential
because by having a boolean "dead code" flag, the node parser can skip
pointless node generation and only do the necessary syntax checks for
the benefit of the user.

It's a little tricky to explain, but I hope the two patches will speak
for themselves.

Gareth