[fpc-devel] [Suggestion] Enumeration range-check intrinsic

Ondrej Pokorny lazarus at kluug.net
Fri Jul 5 11:27:35 CEST 2019

On 05.07.2019 10:52, Sven Barth via fpc-devel wrote:
> Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org
> <mailto:michael at freepascal.org>> schrieb am Fr., 5. Juli 2019, 10:47:
>
>     If memory serves well, FPC introduced this (before delphi) to be
>     able to import C enums with assigned values.
>

> Correct. That is also why we allow both "=" and ":=" for the value
> assignments. Because Delphi only supports one of the two and we picked
> the other back then. ;)

Ignorant Delphi core developers have never checked how FPC does things
before implementing their own solution to keep compatibility ;) And then
they added ARC, then they removed ARC, they then added 0-based strings,
then they killed the product (AppMethod) they made it for...
Unfortunately the 0-based string features made it into FPC in
TStringHelper as well...

Ondrej