[fpc-devel] Some thoughts on multi-line string support, and a possible syntax that I think is perfectly clean and Pascal-ish.

Ben Grasset operator97 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 15:30:49 CEST 2019

On Thu, Jul 4, 2019 at 9:14 AM Marco van de Voort <fpc at pascalprogramming.org>
wrote:

> Take a large pascal file with several strings. Normal, non multi-line
> strings.
>
> Now, as a thought experiment, remove the closing ' from one of the
> strings at the top.
>
> In the case of no multiline string support: error on the line with the
> missing closing string comment.

That's not even how it works, though. Absolutely nothing is changed about
the behaviour of "normal" single-line single-quote strings in the (again,
working!) implementation I have of this.

Multiline strings are explicitly and only opened / closed used *backticks*.

Everything about the feature is far more simple than you seem to think it
is (which is a big part of why I was able to make it work so quickly.)