[fpc-devel] Some thoughts on multi-line string support, and a possible syntax that I think is perfectly clean and Pascal-ish.

wkitty42 at windstream.net wkitty42 at windstream.net
Thu Jul 4 15:27:59 CEST 2019

On 7/4/19 3:27 AM, Pascal Riekenberg wrote:
> What about a Lazarus-Addon / Codetools extention that generates an old style
> multi-line string from a selection and the other way around to make old style
> multi-line strings editable again, so you can keep indention and trailing and
> leading whitespaces and special characters.

1. not everyone uses lazarus.
2. an addon to do what has been basic since forever?
3. which whitespace do we keep and which is thrown away?

personally speaking, i liked the initial idea but i can now easily see why it is
only allowed in source code comments... there's a world of difference between
them... in one case, the formatting stays put and doesn't affect anything
else... in the other, the formatting and whitespace are important and affect a
lot of things...

so yeah, i'm out, too... just too much to farkle around with to make it a viable
feature without causing problems of one sort or another...