[fpc-devel] Some thoughts on multi-line string support, and a possible syntax that I think is perfectly clean and Pascal-ish.

J. Gareth Moreton gareth at moreton-family.com
Thu Jul 4 01:57:01 CEST 2019

While I like the idea in principle, one thing that I'm a bit worried
about is how whitespace is handled, like what counts for a leading or
trailing space in the string when between lines, since Pascal parsers
(and those for many other languages) traditionally, I believe, discard
everything following the last non-whitespace character in a line.  Also,
with the backtick suggestion, what should one do if they wish to include
a control character (e.g. a linefeed) or the backtick character itself?

Gareth aka. Kit

P.S. I'm definitely supportive of using the backtick over the regular
single quotation mark.  And maybe I'm a purist, but I wish to avoid
directly immigrating semantics from C and its descendants!  So Pascal
should continue to have its own style, like with the { } comments.

On 04/07/2019 00:38, Ben Grasset wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 7:32 PM Ryan Joseph <genericptr at gmail.com
> <mailto:genericptr at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I don’t understand these objections either. Who says to themselves
>     that they explicitly want a language that doesn’t support
>     multi-line comments or strings? I use both of these all the time
>     in PHP so it’s really hard to understand why this would be opposed.
>

> Especially with the "backtick" method Michael suggested, I really
> can't see any downsides to it. It looks like strings look.

---