[fpc-devel] Some thoughts on multi-line string support, and a possible syntax that I think is perfectly clean and Pascal-ish.

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Wed Jul 3 20:43:13 CEST 2019

On Wed, 3 Jul 2019, Ryan Joseph wrote:

>> On Jul 3, 2019, at 12:53 PM, Ben Grasset <operator97 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> After thinking about it more though I think Michael's backtick suggestion
>> might actually be the best way to go, because of the fact that backticks
>> currently have no meaning at all in Pascal, and as such, the compiler
>> could safely directly and immediately assume that any use of them was
>> specifically either the opening or closing of a multiline string.
>
> What about double quotes? I think those are available and it makes sense.

Better not.  A backtick has the advantage that it looks like a single quote.

Double quotes shout 'C' and I have a vague suspicion that one day double quotes will come
into view to quote identifiers. (like they do e.g. in SQL)

But the main question is: do we actually want a multiline string ?
As far as I am concerned, that question needs to be answered first, and for
me personally the answer to that is still a resounding "no".

There is also still:

Michael.