[fpc-devel] "Blank slate" next version of FPC

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sat Feb 16 09:58:05 CET 2019

On Sat, 16 Feb 2019, J. Gareth Moreton wrote:

> Hm, fair enough.  Seems a bit strange to not like a new feature, although
> Delphi did start getting a bit bloated in places.  Ah well!
> Compatibility is never a bad thing though!

Hm. 'a bit bloated' is the understatement of the year.

I still program mostly using language features of essentially D7.
Works fine, and I don't think my productivity is in any way enhanced by all the new features.
Maybe enumerators save some typing.  And it's not that I haven't tried the new features.
What I miss - usually - are libraries to perform common tasks.

I wonder where the success of Javascript comes from ?
As a language it is simplicity itself, and yet Javascript thrives.

The only extension to have a real success is TypeScript, which simply
introduces some type checking and more or less real 'constants'...

Michael.