[fpc-devel] How do I go about volunteering as a "release builder", so that we can get rid of the objectively untrue, misleadingly worded "There is no native compiler available for x86_64 Win64. You have to use a cross-compiler" notice on the FPC website?

Ben Grasset operator97 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 04:43:19 CET 2018

I honestly have no idea. It's not an issue I've ever encountered, as I've
literally never built Lazarus with a toolchain that wasn't 64 bit. It would
seem to be the case though that it is indeed very possible (at some
level/point) for it to consume that much memory.

It's worth noting I guess that Lazbuild *does *invoke the FPC instances all
at the same time, and by default uses the number of CPUs as the limit. It
seems theoretically possible that if you had let's say 8 copies of
specifically *32-bit* FPC running at the same time building Lazarus
packages that they could hit a cap that wouldn't be hit with 64 bit
binaries.

Lazarus also for some reason distributes a 32-bit copy of Make *3.80 *with
the 64-bit Windows installer, apparently due to some concerns about
makefile compatibility that I think I might vaguely remember from YEARS ago
but that certainly haven't existed for a long time... I'm not sure the
exact extent to which Make is implicitly invoked as far as Lazarus goes,
but I could definitely see something going wrong there (as the Make 3.80
codebase dates back to 2002). Also just because again, 32-bit.

Either way, native 64-bit is definitely objectively better in various ways,
many not necessarily related building Lazarus specifically. As I said I've
been building it myself for years, and I use it daily.