[fpc-devel] Multiple variable initialization

Ondrej Pokorny lazarus at kluug.net
Sat Mar 24 16:20:03 CET 2018

On 24.03.2018 15:46, Alexander Grotewohl wrote:
> The patch is to put them on separate lines. Preferably with meaningful
> comments for each. If FPC was changed at the whim of every programmer
> we'd end up with a huge mess that no longer resembles pascal.

Please tell me who decides about the borderline between whim and usefulness.

E.g. FPC supports initializing local variables, which Delphi and (if I
am not mistaken) ISO Pascal don't support:

procedure Test;
var
   A: Integer = 0;
begin
end;

Is it a whim as well? If FPC has this extension, why not to support

procedure Test;
var
   A, B: Integer = 0;
begin