[fpc-devel] Proposal for 2 new compiler functions

Wolf wv99999 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 01:45:47 CEST 2018

Hi

I object to one component of Gareth's proposal - to make log2(0)=0. The
problem lies not with what Gareth wants to do with it, but what other
people will use it for once it becomes available.  log2(0) is undefined
(and undefinable, as it is not a computable number), the appropriate
choice for log2(0) is to make it Not-A-Number (NaN).

FLog2(0) = NaN = CLog2.

Such a choice would avoid the mess Gustavson got himself into when he
mapped <www.johngustafson.net/pdfs/BeatingFloatingPoint.pdf> 0 and 1/0
onto the same number - a mapping that has many advantages for computing,
but eventually destroys computability
<https://arxiv.org/pdf/1701.00722>. To a lesser degree, this mess is
already present in the IEEE 754 standard for floating-point arithmetic,
and thus led to, to put it mildly, computing difficulties
<www.itu.dk/%7Esestoft/bachelor/IEEE754_article.pdf>, difficulties that
many programmers gloss over - or simply ignore.

I will have to say more about this when I am ready to file a bug report
on floating point exceptions, since Gareth's proposal has deep links to
how floating point numbers are defined - and why they were defined such.

Wolf

On 13/06/2018 00:42, J. Gareth Moreton wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Sorry to flood the mailing list again with more ideas and experiments.
>
> I would like to propose introducing a new pair of in-built functions
> for the compiler.
>
> function FLog2(X: Cardinal): Cardinal;
> function CLog2(X: Cardinal): Cardinal;
>
> FLog2 returns the base-2 logarithm of X, rounded down, while CLog2
> returns the base-2 logarithm of X, rounded up.
>
> To give examples where these functions could be useful, FLog2(X) + 1
> indicates the minimum number of bits required to store X as an
> unsigned integer, while CLog2(X) is equal to the maximum number of
> iterations required for a binary search of an X-sized list.
Given the stated purpose, I could withdraw my objection if any reference
to logarithm was removed from the function and its name. Then Gareth
would be free to create his function any way he likes and assign to it
the properties he chooses. The only requirement left then would be to
state in the comments around the function what it is supposed to
achieve, as a deterrence to mis-use and guidance to future maintainers,
who may not think the same as Gareth does.
> Why should they be in-built though? With the binary search example,
> the size of the list is sometimes known at compile time, hence is a
> constant - therefore, its logarithm is also a constant.  By
> pre-calculating the logarithm using the in-built function, it can be
> used to aid optimization such as loop unrolling.  It also makes them
> easier to inline, where FLog2(X) on x86_64-win64 translates to a
> single line of assembly language: BSR EAX, ECX (unless X is zero, in
> which case ZF is set and EAX is undefined).
>
> If there had to be a slight nuance though, it's what happens if X = 0,
> since log(0) = -oo
This statement is false. log(0) is not infinity. To obtain a numerical
value for log(0) by e.g. Taylor series expansion, at one stage you have
to divide by zero since the differential
(d ln x )/ d x = 1/x.
  And since 1/0 is not an element of the set of computable numbers,
log(0) is not either. The only valid assignment can be log(0):=NaN, for
any base.