[fpc-devel] Compile time functions

J. Gareth Moreton gareth at moreton-family.com
Sat Jul 28 17:48:18 CEST 2018

 Another little progress update with implementing pure functions.
 1. In my code (not submitted yet), the compiler now recognises and accepts
the 'pure' directive.  There are a number of other directives that it
can't be used with ('noreturn' being one of them) and it can't be used on
object methods.
 2. A compiler hint is thrown if a function is not pure, but can definitely
be made pure. This is done via a new procinfo flag named
"pi_pure_uncertain", which is set if any loops, jumps or calls are
encountered, as well as anything that makes the function impure. If the
flag is not set when the function's node tree has been built, then it's
definitely a pure function. Note that the compiler won't start treating it
as a pure function - it only gives the hint that it could do.
 3. A compiler warning is thrown if a function marked as pure tries to
access a variable whose scope falls outside of the subroutine (i.e. it's
not local).  Similar warnings are thrown if the ^ and @ operators are
used.

 I haven't programmed in the actual compile-time evaluation yet because
that requires stepping through the nodes like an interpreter.  That's my
next challenge once I get the initial compilation and validation done.
 Some things will take a little bit of thought.  With a pure function
calling another pure function, it's not always known if the callee is pure
at this point (e.g. with a forward declaration and/or where the 'pure'
directive only appears in the implementation section), so it will have to
come back to check it later somehow, which might be difficult if the
original pure function is being called before its own implementation (as
part of a constant assignment, for example).

 Though not tested or fully validated yet, it's intended that only
floating-point and ordinal type parameters and variables are supported
initially for the sake of simplicity.  Support for record types and
strings will be a bit more complicated and something I'll do later,
assuming there's a need for more complex types in pure functions - I can
think of examples where they will, such as with "IntToStr" (when called by
another pure function) with strings, and a library of routines for handling
complex numbers, say (record type consisting of 2 Doubles).

 Hopefully I can present something in the near future to be tested and
ripped apart by other developers and SQA!

 Gareth aka. Kit