[fpc-devel] FPC 3.0.2 for SPARC

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-devel at telemetry.co.uk
Fri May 5 17:34:11 CEST 2017

On 05/05/17 12:00, Pierre Muller wrote:
> Hi Mark,
> Le 05/05/2017 à 13:00, Mark Morgan Lloyd a écrit :> This is something that was discussed on the FPC-Pascal ML but it died.> > I am able to build installation bundles for SPARC running Linux (Debian) > and Solaris (OpenSXCE). The fp IDE works but doesn't have libgdb > support, and I've got limited time to struggle up the learning curve. > Would these be of use for the downloads area, which at present only has > 2.6.2 and 2.4.2 respectively?
>   Yes it would be very nice,libgdb missing for IDE is really not a big deal...
> Please let me know how you can send me the files.

For reasons I'd prefer not to discuss, I can't easily get access to e.g.
Dropbox so am limited to email, FTP, or something similarly "old
school". If you want to continue this off-list I suggest using the email
address in my sig below, since it's less likely to have messages deleted
as spam.

On Linux we're talking about something like:

53780480 2017-04-07 09:20 fpc-3.0.2.sparc-linux.tar

I need to revisit the Solaris build. Checking, I see that I can make
fpcsrc without too much trouble using something like

gmake NOGDB=1 OPT='-V3.0.0 -O- -gl -Xn -vt' all

but the full build is giving me a linking error.

Following Pierre's instructions I'm using

CHECKLIBGDB=no install/makepack

which is eventually failing with

/usr/local/src/fpc/fpcbuild-3.0.2/fpcsrc/compiler$
/usr/local/bin/ppcsparc -Ur -Xs -O2 -n -Fusparc -Fusystems
-Fu/usr/local/src/fpc/fpcbuild-3.0.2/fpcsrc/rtl/units/sparc-solaris
-Fisparc -FE. -FUsparc/units/sparc-solaris -dRELEASE    -dsparc -dGDB
-dBROWSERLOG  -Sew pp.pas

/usr/bin/gld:built in linker script:21: syntax error
pp.pas(238,36) Error: Error while linking
pp.pas(238,36) Fatal: There were 1 errors compiling module, stopping
Fatal: Compilation aborted

I'm pretty sure I've come across this one before and that the cause is
something like the wrong linker being invoked by the makefile, leave it
with me so I can go through my notes.

I'll be back ;-)

-----

I don't know what the future of SPARC is going to be like, and whether
the attempts that are being made to get 64-bit SPARC Linux working will
make it any rosier.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk