[fpc-devel] Can FPC at least give a hint/warning?

Gennady Agranov gennadyagranov at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 22:10:36 CET 2016

Hi,

>>> Or what are the conditions when you want to emit the hint?

I thought that hint could come from some layer that actually allocates
the record - on the stack or on the heap - this layer may actually know
the "effective" alignment

Heap allocation should be aligned to the largest required alignment (is
it 8?) - i.e. it should relatively simple to validate that offset of
some "double" field is properly aligned

I actually do not know how stack allocation works - i.e. when and how
compiler aligns double, extended or record values (packed or unpacked)

So if in your opinion this hint would report too many false positives -
case is closed :)

 >>> if the bug is closed - is there any way to add a note to it?

Yes, I found this button after I have went to the URL again and
inspected the available UI  more thorough :(
I did not want to send another e-mail to FPC list - that I have found it :)

Sorry about it,
Gennady