[fpc-devel] Generics.Collections as package for Lazarus or package for FPC RTL

Maciej Izak hnb.code at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 12:14:58 CET 2016

> On Wed, 27 Jan 2016, Juha Manninen wrote:
>>
>> Yes, that is about your Generics.Collections compatibility.
>> I was more interested why fcl-stl is not Delphi compatible while many
>> other libraries provided by FPC project are.
>>

> It was donated by someone early on during the implementation of generics.
> I don't think the comparable Delphi units existed at the time. I think the
> implementation was more based on C++ templates/generics than on comparable
> C# or Delphi functionality (hence the name stl: Standard Template Library).

Delphi Generics.Collections exist since Delphi 2009. fpc-stl was introduced
around 2012

FPC generics implementation was very buggy, was almost impossible to
implement compatible version, and there was lack of
Generics.Defaults comparable functionality (which is base for any
collection - especially _LookupVtableInfo function). More info about
_LookupVtableInfo  :

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17951412/what-does-the-default-tarray-sort-comparator-actually-do-and-when-would-you-use

Development process of Generics.* takes almost 2-3 years (most of time
takes to create bug reports and finding workarounds... Even now I have a
lot of not reported generics bugs). Without Sven cooperation whole
investments would be impossible :).
--
Best regards,
Maciej Izak