[fpc-devel] Program too long ?

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-devel at telemetry.co.uk
Thu Jan 14 17:22:48 CET 2016

wkitty42 at windstream.net wrote:
> On 01/13/2016 05:01 PM, Mathias wrote:
>> I wanted a test following compile 1'000'000x WriteLn.

>> Procedure too
>> complex, it requires too many registers Fatal: Compilation aborted Error:
>> /usr/bin/ppcx64 returned an error exitcode
>
> wowowow... is there something wrong/bad with a short routine?

OTOH it's very easy to end up with enormous functions- or even an
enormous main block- if machine-generating source by e.g. macro
expansion. I've come across some text-processing tools which were built
like this... typically via antique FORTRAN which lacked functions to get
unhappy about :-)

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk