[fpc-devel] FPC and OpenSXCE/Illumos/Solaris 11

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-devel at telemetry.co.uk
Wed May 13 13:05:04 CEST 2015

Jonas Maebe wrote:
> Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote on Wed, 13 May 2015:
>
>> That particular machine self-destructed, so I don't have an adequate
>> record of what versions of gld/ld were installed. A rebuilt system
>> using the SunFreeware libraries etc. (which are for Solaris 10 rather
>> than 11) appears to be OK, except that SunFreeware binutils installs
>> ld (not gld) in /usr/local/bin which has the result that an older
>> (buggy) version of gld is picked up by FPC before the correct one.
>> Creating symlinks /usr/local/bin/gld etc. appears to fix the problem.
>
> You can use the -Xn command line parameter on Solaris to use the native
> linker instead of the GNU one (FPC 3.x).

Thanks, it's one of the things I've already got on my list to check.
Somebody added that to the Wiki page, initially as something
undocumented. Google suggests that gld 2.19 is known to be broken on
Solaris, other versions appear OK; I've modified the script I use for
building to log which binary is actually used as announced in -vt output.

There's supposed to be a new OpenSXCE build at the end of this month or
during June, so I'm holding off any further work until then. There's a
whole load of politics/nationalism associated with the project, I'm
doing my best to be non-judgemental in the interest of helping to keep
the SPARC platform alive.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk