[fpc-devel] Xe3 Parallel for

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Wed May 13 11:10:46 CEST 2015

On 05/12/2015 05:49 PM, Sven Barth wrote:
>  Their own .Net compiler has shown that one can't simply map the
> Delphi language to the CLR 1:1 and expect something seamless. We see
> that with FPC's JVM support as well. So using a variant of the
> language that embeds itself into the framework is a much better approach.

... defying any portability. Hence making the  programming system a
hoax. Horrible !

Of course fpc is doing a hard fight with the effort to do a "write once
run everywhere" system ( ->
http://www.lazarus-ide.org/index.php?page=about : "Lazarus and Free
Pascal strives for write once compile anywhere"). But IMHO it's worth
the effort.

> And for the widgetsets: The VCL was never designed to be cross
> platform in contrast to te LCL. It would have meant immensely more
> work for Embarcadero to port the VCL to Mac, Android, etc. than to buy
> a third part solution and to market that. Of course they could have
> used the CLX, but there they would have first needed to port it to a
> more modern Qt version.

The Lazarus team (similar as the fpc team) took on with this effort and
did an excellent (but tedious and still unfinished) job.

This proves that it is possible, but Embarcadero just bought the
Firemonkey library instead.

Firemonkey might be a nice options for projects that (independent of the
target device) are suppose to show a "floating" GUI design. But this
should be a decision of the program designer and not forced by lacking
features of the programming system.

-Michael