[fpc-devel] Xe3 Parallel for

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Tue May 12 13:45:08 CEST 2015

On 05/12/2015 01:28 PM, Marco van de Voort wrote:
> In our previous episode, Michael Schnell said:
>> Seemingly Xe3 provides a parallel loop feature to support fast
>> multi-Core applications
> No it does not.
Xe3 was a typo.
Xe3 seems to. At least they advertize it ....

>>         TParallel.For(2,1,Max,procedure(I:Int64)
> This is a class method parameterised with D2009 anonymouse method, not a
> language construct.
>
> If you read the release manifest well, they talk about a parallel library,
> not paralel language extensions.

I did not claim that it's a brand new language construct (or anything
else), I just said "feature".

If the code snippet I mentioned is compilable even with D2009, only the
library is new.

Nonetheless to me it seems rather silly that they offer a dedicated
language construct  ("parallel for" / "future") with Prism and suggest
using another language construct (anonymous method) for exactly the same
purpose with Xe8.

Regarding fpc, I am aware that "anonymous method" had been discussed
here. I did not take a deeper look into same.

Is / will the syntax be the same as with Delphi ?

Will the fpc library provide the appropriate classes for doing
"TParallel.For" as described ?

-Michael