[fpc-devel] Pascal Standard, and what we can do.

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Fri Jul 24 13:20:59 CEST 2015

On Fri, 24 Jul 2015, Marco van de Voort wrote:

> In our previous episode, Den said:
>>      Looks like I sparked quite a bit of interest! Perhaps we could work
>> on a Standard instead of just on the Compiler itself? This gives people
>> more of a look on what 'could' happen, instead of a Wiki where everyone
>> can just edit.  A system where voting is necessary, just like Standards
>> from W3C, Khronos, etc, etc.
>
> Neither is voting by uninformed people. People admitted to W3C and Kronos
> are a preselected group, not every internet user can vote directly on
> proposals.

And even so, they mess up.
XML was nice in theory, till namespaces came along.
SOAP was nice in theory, till large companies messed with it.
OAuth used to be simple, till version 2.0 come along.
Just to name a few I came into contact with.
Design by committee is rarely a good plan.

I just keep hoping they will leave JSON and JSON-RPC and JSONSchema alone :(

Michael.