[fpc-devel] Pascal Standard, and what we can do.

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Thu Jul 23 09:57:52 CEST 2015

On Thu, 23 Jul 2015, Maciej Izak wrote:

>> But then, all that is just my truth. Yours may be entirely different.
>>

> That is why we have $MODESWITCH and $MODE :). We can all be happy. Please
> do not destroy the enthusiasm of others.

I don't mean to, but my bullshit detector is going in the red these days.

For example, the term 'modern' is bullshit and has no place in a technical environment.
That's for fashion, where it can change every 6 months.

There have been NO fundamental changes in IT in the last 20 years (probably longer).
It has *not* become more modern. It is, however, increasingly hype sensitive
- unfortunately. Terms like 'modern' only add to the hype.

If you want to increase productivity, and think this must be done by changing
the language, you are very IMHO very much mistaken, and as a consequence you
will have to present stronger arguments to introduce changes.

I don't mind changes to the language, but please use correct and compelling arguments.

This is not perl. Perl also incorporated a lot of elements from all kinds of
tools, it became utterly unreadable and is in free fall ever since.

Michael.