[fpc-devel] Debugging embedded targets on a Mac just got a lot easier & nicer...

Michael Ring mail at michael-ring.org
Mon Jul 13 21:30:10 CEST 2015

I have been waiting for this day quite a while now...

Finally there is a good low level debugger for embedded targets on Mac,
Linux and Windows...

As a owner of the Freescale K64F Board (with a Cortex-M4 Chip on it) I
can replace the on-board debugger with a free version of JLink-Debugger.

Today now the company behind the JLink Debugger also released a tool
named 'JLinkDebugger' for the Mac. This tools has been available for a
while for Windows and Linux, but I never liked the hassle to bring up a
virtual machine to start it on my Mac.

The nice thing is that when you also load the CMSIS-svd file for your
chip you also have access to all Peripheral-Registers from within the
debugger.

And best of all, it works pretty good with FreePascal Binaries....

If there is more interst in this I can add some documentation to the
FreePascal Wiki...

Michael

Here's a screenshot:

http://temp.michael-ring.org/JLinkDebugger.jpg

..... this thing should also work with PIC32MX microcontrollers, will
give this a try tomorrow.....