[fpc-devel] Capability CPUARM_HAS_BLX_LABEL with ARM instruction set

Anthony Walter sysrpl at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 22:51:25 CET 2015

Hello Gary and thanks go out to both the FPC and Lazarus teams as well. I
don't want to hijack your thread, but I too am using FPC on the Pi, albeit
not to the level you've gone.

I believe the FPC community has the opportunity to expand to a new younger
audience with the Pi. With this in mind I believe it's important we call to
action as many knowledgeable people involved with FPC and Lazarus. We can
work together on materials or enhancements when presenting FPC and Lazarus
to Pi users. For example creating worksheet oriented tutorials showing the
easy and strength of FPC in an exciting way.

To that end I've created two friendly reduced footprint FPC 3.0 and Lazarus
Pi setup scripts. One script installs a minimal FPC 3.0 compiler (it
doesn't interfere with existing FPC per usual me), and the other is a
reduced FPC and Lazarus (again no interference).

Minimal FPC 3.0 for P bundled as tar.gz:
http://cache.getlazarus.org/archives/fpc-3.0.0.raspberry-min.tar.gz
Reduced FPC 3.0 + Lazarus bundled as a pure script:
http://www.getlazarus.org/download/?platform=raspberry

I've also been working on two graphics + inputs systems which operate
outside of the windowing system. One built around creating full screen
graphics with GLESv2, the other built around full screen graphics with
OpenVG. In my development so far I'm impressed both with the speed and
complexity of graphics the Pi2 GPU hardware + drivers can deliver, and with
how nice the FPC language can be in creating an object oriented class
library to simplify everything. I plan to create a Raspberry Pi worksheet
section for both at http://www.getlazarus.org.

In the end I think when presented correctly, FPC should be the obvious
choice to Pi users over C/C++, Python, Java, or Go, and that we (our
community) should be working together to achieve the best possible Pi user
experience with regards to FPC and Lazarus.