[fpc-devel] multi version ppudump

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 2 20:28:53 CET 2015

Am 02.12.2015 17:40 schrieb "Michael Van Canneyt" <michael at freepascal.org>:

> On Wed, 2 Dec 2015, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2 Dec 2015 16:49:30 +0100 (CET)
>> Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org> wrote:
>>
>>> [...]
>>> Hm. ppudump should be backwards compatible ? Or at least, that was the
original design ?

>> AFAIK it never supported older versions.
>>
>> For example:
>> pascal/3.0.0/fpc/compiler/utils/ppudump -Fj
/usr/lib/fpc/2.6.4/units/x86_64-linux/graph/ggigraph.ppu
>> Unsupported PPU version 135. Expecting PPU version 172.
>

> Strange; Originally it could handle any version, it was a tool
independent of the compiler. I seem to remember some discussion which
probably changed that.

The file format itself is backwards compatible regarding the entries (one
can skip entries one does not know), but the entries themselves aren't
necessarily extended in a backwards compatible way...

Regards,
Sven