[fpc-devel] Suggestion: reference counted objects

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Sat Sep 27 15:28:41 CEST 2014

On 26.09.2014 22:36, Boian Mitov wrote:
> See... this is the point. In order to properly implement parallel loops
> etc. even in their limited form the compiler needs specific RTL support.
> So we break one of the basic principles that the compiler is the root,
> and the RTL is a library compiled in it. Once you start getting the
> compiler to depend on RTL implementation, you start to get in troubles
> IMHO.

Ehm... the coupling between the compiler and the RTL (or better the
System unit and some other automatically included units) is already
rather high and I don't see this reduced anywhere in the future. In fact
it's more likely to get the other way round. E.g. support for the
"delayed" directive will require the support currently provided by the
DynLibs unit inside the System unit (though this will likely go the same
way as variants, wide strings, threading, etc: using a manager record).

Regards,
Sven