[fpc-devel] Suggestion: reference counted objects

Nikolay Nikolov nickysn at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Sep 25 00:34:23 CEST 2014

On 09/23/2014 08:47 PM, Boian Mitov wrote:
> This is a valid point.
> The only downside is that the object will every time do a deep copy
> versus a shallow (pointer only) copy. Deep copy is very, very
> expensive operation.
> Adding ref. counting to objects is probably equivalent of one
> interlocked assembly instruction, so a very small difference, probably
> not even measurable.
> Copy of a large object can take a large memory transfer, and will also
> reserve memory for each copy, thus significantly increasing memory.
> While both approaches have something going for them, they are not
> total subside for each other.
Yes, but if you have compiler support for objects with automatic calls
of constructors/destructor/copy constructor/assignment operator (like in
C++ classes), and if you also have generics support for objects, you can
make a generic smart pointer object type that adds reference counting to
any class. And then the regular class references will serve as weak
references. Exactly like C++:

http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_56_0/libs/smart_ptr/smart_ptr.htm

What's more important is that we can extend objects this way, without
breaking backward compatibility. But, unfortunately, it's a huge
slippery slope from there, as anyone, who has dealt with C++ STL error
messages knows:

http://pascalg.wordpress.com/2008/02/24/stl-error-messages-are-so-great/

Nikolay