[fpc-devel] Suggestion: reference counted objects

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 21 09:33:47 CEST 2014

Am 21.09.2014 06:11 schrieb "Boian Mitov" <mitov at mitov.com>:

> Unless you implement something like the semi-deterministic GC that I
proposed few years ago, weak pointers are the only solution for avoiding
circular reference deadlock in ARC as far as I know. They are simply
necessary evil, and a small one base on my current experience with them.

There are cycle detection algorithms that could be used upon a decrease of
a reference count. Biggest problem is that they would be quite expensive
(regarding performance) in case of complex object instance "graphs" like
the LCL/VCL.

Regards,
Sven