[fpc-devel] Suggestion: reference counted objects

Boian Mitov mitov at mitov.com
Sat Sep 20 19:20:50 CEST 2014

  Hi Chriss,

Personally I favor reference counted objects. While there are interfaces as you pointed, and in Delphi you can even use smart pointers now, there is still a lot of cases when you need to use objects, and have to manually free them.
In single threaded environment that is not such an issue, but in parallel and heavily multithreaded environments, reference counting is a life saver.
Just for that at the moment we have to declare gazillions of additional interfaces which slows the development considerably. After all even after we switched to the new RTTI, generics, and attributes, we barely succeeded to reduce our code from 4 mln lines of code to ~800K and it still is time consuming to maintain :-( .
Anything that can reduce the code base further and speed up our development is important for us, as I would guess for anyone else.

With best regards,
Boian Mitov

Mitov Software
www.mitov.com