[fpc-devel] Suggestion: reference counted objects

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Sat Sep 20 12:36:16 CEST 2014

Fabrício Srdic schrieb:
> Hello,
>
> In platforms with managed code (.NET, Java), objects are automatically
> freed by the memory manager / garbage collector.
>
> Would not it be interesting to have a similar feature in FPC?

AFAIK some Delphi XE made TObject itself managed, by reference counting.
It would be easy to introduce the same feature in FPC, so that no
special base class would be required. Like with extended RTTI a decision
should be made, whether managed objects should be enabled or disabled by
default. Afterwards automatic management can be turned on or off for
every single class or object individually.

> For example, through a root class where its objects are counted by
> reference, like the TInterfacedObjects. Thus, the programmer would be
> free from having to manually release objects.

In practice it turned out that the automatic destruction of objects
still requires assistance of the coder, in many cases, in all languages
with garbage collection. I.e. a destructor (or finalizer) still is
required to prepare an object for subsequent destruction.

IMO it's sufficient to use Interfaces for all objects that should be
subject to garbage collection.

DoDi