[fpc-devel] RTTI generating

Boian Mitov mitov at mitov.com
Fri Sep 19 22:49:28 CEST 2014

On Fri, 19 Sep 2014, Adriaan van Os wrote:

Your remarks seem to imply that you think RTTI can be used to inspect any
aspect of an object.
It was/is not meant for that.
<<<

Quite incorrect. All languages with modern RTTI allow for full object
inspection, and that includes Delphi 2010 and higher, C#, and even VB has
it.
The fact is that FPC is just stuck in the last century, and the lack of any
even remotely decent RTTI in it makes it unsuitable for any modern
development.
Our code nowadays relies nearly 100% on advanced RTTI, and it was one of the
major factors, we decided to discontinue any attempts to support Lazarus.

If the Lazarus goal is to be just what D7 was ~12 or so years ago, fine, but
then easier goal is to be just what Turbo Pascal was in the late 80s or even
easier goal, just be an assembler.
The world has moved since 2000, and FPC seems to be downright stuck
technology wise IMHO :-( .

With best regards,
Boian Mitov

Mitov Software